Sunday, May 24, 2009

Diary

January 12, 2009
12 days in India- Traveling from town to town; I started my trip in Delhi- visiting my In-laws- which in its self is fun. It’s always entertaining to see people after a long time. Then I left for Amritsar- my destination; main reasons for being in India. I have taken a HUGE step by leaving everything I know behind to do charity work. At first getting to Amritsar was exciting, Visiting the Golden Temple and roaming the streets. But then I started to feel wary; and unsure of my decision. I guess I was just feeling a bit dis-hearted- being alone in a new town. Of course I know many people in Amritsar- but to have a companion is always helpful. Any ways, I went to go visit my relatives in Batala- as that was a Sad Trip. I stayed at Kaka Chacha and Rosie Chachie’s house as usual. But this time it was DIFFERENT; with this awful tragedy in our family of losing Sumeet. I still can’t believe he is not with us; it strikes me as unreal. Well this is a battle of life; and sadly we are fighting for our lives in this battle. It scares me, because this tragedy has left Kaka Chacha Broken to pieces, and Rosie Chachie in a state of Depression. Leaving from Batala made me very sad, and at the same time I felt relieved. That evening I went to Darbar Sahib- feeling at peace, praying for everyone around me. The next day I went to Pingalwara- My Final Destination! Getting there was actually very easy from my Hotel- cost me 50rs by Auto (I possibly gave the Auto driver a little too much-but that’s ok). I got there and wanted to meet with Dr. Inderjeet Kaur, although unfortunately she was unavailable- I met with a Mr. Rahi- who in turn made my experience all the sweeter. He met with me and I explained to him what I had done- left my job, and Home to come and volunteer. He was impressed at seeing my enthusiasm, and reading my resume. He immediately offered me housing, which I kindly declined (I want to be closer to Darbar Sahib to be able to go and visit daily- as in America its impossible to go to Gurdwara on a regular basis- therefore I have decided I will try to go Every SINGLE DAY that I am in Amritsar). I was given a tour of Pingalwara in the Amritsar Location- I visited the women’s ward- women who have been picked up from the streets, deaf and mute, and even women who are HIV+. They were all so welcoming and warm to me. In fact they were excited to see a new face. After that, Rahi Uncle offered a tour to the Manawal location as well. That’s aprox 30 min away from the Amritsar Location. A few Military Wives wanted a tour, and I was also sent along with them to see this other location- WHICH WAS AMAZING! I couldn’t beieve my eyes- Pingalwara is so CLEAN! I mean I was under the impression that it was going to be this dirty place- but on the contrary it was entirely different. I was given the chance to meet with deaf/mute children, children who cannot afford schooling; and are being schooled at Pingalwara; I was also given the opportunity to meet the most amazing two children. I met with Conjoined Twins, Sonu and Monu.

No comments: